Sunday, January 27, 2008

Marketing Introduction

The description can include, but should not be limited to your nickname, background, industry experience, career goals, hobbies, favorite links, and other interesting information about you.

Nickname: Jay, but only to those who've known me since 7th grade

Background: I grew up in Baton Rouge, Louisiana where I lived until I was 20. I attended Louisiana State University and worked for the school newspaper, The Reveille http://www.lsureveille.com/, as well as at a local cafe. After Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana in Fall 2005, I wanted to try something a little different so I moved to Chicago for a year and a half, participating in a tuition-free state university exchange. Enduring one winter in Chicago was quite enough for me and I soon decided that I needed to live in a place where the sun shined more than 100 days out of the year. Vegas was calling my name! Soon after settling into my new place and checking out UNLV, I realized that I was in the perfect place to persue my hospitality goals... sunny, beautiful Las Vegas!

Industry Experience: I began working in a restaurant the day I turned 16 and I haven't left the industry since. I was first employed at a corporate Mexican cantina, then at a neighborhood cafe, then at a series of semi-fine dining establishments in Chicago, and now at a steakhouse in Vegas. By the end of the summer I plan to step up to restaurant management (and, unfortunately, down in pay), and I'm trying to absorb as much information and expertise as posible in the meantime.

Career Goals: Even though I like to believe that life has a unique way of positioning you where it may, I would ultimately like to become Vice President of Food and Beverage for a Las Vegas Strip property.

Hobbies: I enjoy learning about food, eating (I consider myself a professional diner), riding my bike, dancing (especially when no one is looking), studying, meeting interesting people, traveling, taking pictures, reading (when I find time), exercising (the eliptical can be one hell of a workout), and spending time with my family and loved ones.

Favorite Links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page, http://imdb.com/, and http://youtube.com/. Disclaimer= *I'm a pretty big nerd.

Other Interesting Information: I like to put fresh flowers in my hair, I take notes on life and I make lists hibitually, I am currently taking 23 hours, I have been to Hungry, I've passed my Level I Court of Master Sommeliers Exam (I am scheduled for the Level II this upcoming summer), and I am a manager for UNLVino this semester!